These tasty little morsels are a great emergency breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack…. I like them cold or hot but be aware that they will be quite glutinous when cold. If you prefer regular potato it can easily be substituted instead of the sweet potato but they may fall apart a little more easily.
Purple Sweet Potato and Corn Fish Cakes 🍠🌽
1 cob of corn
1 large purple skin white flesh sweet potato quartered lengthwise with skin on
3 cloves of garlic skin on
1 small red onion
1 cob of corn husk and silk removed 🌽
Olive oil or rice bran oil spray
160g sustainably fished tinned tuna or salmon
1/2 cup (100g) Glutinous rice flour
1/2-1 cup Rice crumbs
Salt to taste
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Wrap skin on garlic cloves in baking paper then foil and place in baking dish.
- Place sweet potato and onion in baking dish and toss them in a small amount of olive oil. Leave sweet potato skin side down to roast.
- Add corn cob to baking dish for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Place in oven for approximately 40 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Turn oven up to 220 degrees.
- Peel away outer layer of sweet potato, chop onion into small pieces, cut corn pieces off the cob and add to bowl with drained fish.
- Season with salt and pepper and mash ingredients together until well mixed through.
- Place rice crumbs on a plate with some additional salt and pepper. Roll 2-3 Tbsp size portions into patty shapes and roll in rice crumbs mix.
- Place on a lined baking tray and spray all sides with olive or rice bran oil.
- Bake in oven until fish cakes are well browned.